Thermostat vs. Thermometer 🌡

 Reflect & Respond ✍️

WOW!! What a great example; Thermostat vs. Thermometer :) 

1.) How does this image relate to modeling the way? Please provide an example. 

                  Modeling the way speaks heavily about affirming your values and leading in a way that your values are clearly expressed from yourself and amongst the group. An example would be the in first chapter specifically when it says "Leadership is not simply about your own values. It's also about the values of those you are hoping co lead." meaning you must be the thermostat in the room controlling and setting the environment/climate by staying true to who you are and your beliefs/values. And not being a thermometer purely reflecting the climate around you and falling and going every which way everyone else is going--a follower in a negative sense/not knowing who you truly are and what you value and believe in. 

2.) Most people say they own a set of values, but many don't live by the values they claim. Why do you think there may be a gap between what we say and what we do? Why should you try to avoid hypocrisy as a leader?

I think this happens because we often times just don't know and understand what we're saying and the weight behind it or what it all entails to live up to the commitment or statement. And also that we've done it so much in the past it is hard for us to reset that hypocritical mindset ourselves (similar to compulsive liar; they tell someone lies they do not even realize it; and do subconsciously/automatically because their so use to it) as if we do not first acknowledge and second address it as the issue. I've been encountering a lot of hypocrisy with the recent presidential election and administration change and it is very frustrating and just confusing to see. And as a leader it is paramount to your ability to lead as you are the leader which requires you to affirm your values and find your voice first before you can even lead someone else in the right direction. Additionally, no one ever wants a hypocrite it damages your credibility and undermines your authority/effectiveness within the group; at this point you are no longer modeling the way. Avoiding the hypocrisy is the better way to go.

Example: The Credibility Gap in U.S. History with the Vietnam War and Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency and later Richard Nixon's. Public distrust was a result of this which negatively impacts leadership. 

3.) What does it take to live by a set of values?

It takes a life-long commitment to be a thermostat-staying true to who you are regardless of what others around you do or say. It also takes patience with yourself to know it is okay to mess up as we are human but to also learn by the mistake. And it takes a huge amount of self-confidence as you want to be "authentic and genuine" and not many people like that as you will stand out because they are following everyone and everything around them. Many will dismiss it as odd or strange when it is purely you expressing yourself and staying true to who you are regardless of many stares, looks, or negative comments you get. Living by your set of values can be a lonely journey but you will find your community eventually and grow in ways that you can never imagine as it is not the road most taken

4.) Think back to a time when you worked with a teacher or leader of organization who was a thermometer. How did they set the temperature for the direction of the group? Were they successful or unsuccessful?

The temperature for me personally reflecting back was very uneasy, frustrating, and rather stressful. They were unsuccessful as I had a hard time believing what they said and taking it as truth and I felt unsafe and uncared for in the environment- she didn't have my best interest in heart. It was even more stressful because it was a math class in which I struggled with and having a teacher who would say one thing but do another only destroyed my trust in others- I am a very do it myself/own person, I value independence because I constantly fear that people will fail me as I've had a lot of experience with helping not sticking with their promises unfortunately. Being a thermostat can truly turn people away. 


5.) How have you tried to become a "thermostat"? How do you add value to others?

    Yes, I've been on the journey to become a "thermostat" every since I entered high school. Back in middle school I had this feeling like I needed to do and be certain things but I was only granted the opportunity in high school- as it was a fresh start. Now I've served in multiple leadership positions in high school its put me on course to become a true "thermostat" in college now as I will impact a multitude of people and all eyes will be on me. Adding value to others is something that first starts with you as you must affirm your value and find your voice then that will guide you to add value to others as you are modeling the value to add to them. It is cooperative you must model it and then they will be inspired to reciprocate that value within themselves. Lastly you must be that thermostat that sets and control the climate/environment, which will be the spark in the process to be to add of value to others. 

Comments

  1. Hey Jaquarius,

    When reading your responses, I can tell that you put a lot of thought behind your words. I especially like what you had to say in the first, second, and final questions. First, I feel as though the quote you used in your first respons was well chosen because it demonstrates what it takes to be a thermostat leader. I also liked how you went into detail to differenciate and descripe what a thermoter does compared to a thermostat leader, specially when you related being a thermoter to "a follower in a negative sense/not knowing who you truly are and what you value and believe in." Secondly, I agree with what you said in your response to the second question. I had a similar answer in regards to why it is not good if one becomes a hypocrit. Lastly, I think that it is great you were able to start fresh and gain new leadership roles in highscool that led to you to be prepared and ready for the reality of college. Personally, my family and personal experiences outside of highschool made me more of a leader, but I am glad that you were able to join and lead others throughout you highscool career.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment